Day #1: It’s About U.S.
April 20, 2018
To mark the start of “National Conversation Week,” I’m announcing my “It’s About U.S.” music project. For the rest of this year, I’ll be posting articles, ideas, videos, songs, and more (of my own and others) on improving how we talk to each other. I’m starting today by sharing the title song for this project, “It’s About U.S.” I’ll end in December, performing a brief fundraising tour along the East coast with my fiddles, tap shoes, and looper.
I’m doing this project because I want to use my music to support a cause that feels urgent. The 2016 election made me (and many others) increasingly aware of how many Americans feel like strangers—even enemies—with those who express different political ideas. But I don’t believe we’re as far apart as we seem. Moreover, I believe that if we better understood our differences, they might not so easily fuel hatred and contempt.
Therefore, I’m doing this project to:
1) Better listen to and share with friends who think differently than me.
2) Support “Better Angels:” a national organization dedicated to healing America’s partisan divide.
3) Inspire others to listen and share in their own ways and through organizations dedicated to this work.
Want to help? Here’s some ways to support this project:
1. Participate in the National Week of Conversation (even from your computer). Events here!
2. Share a song. Share an article. Share your thoughts.
3. Host, attend, or assist a house concert (for my December tour).
4. Join Better Angels (it’s only $10!). Donate Here!
5. Support any organization linked below.
6. Follow my music page to stay updated.
Or just “speak” to me—on the phone or in person. I need other voices involved for this project to work, so please share!